Improved route optimization increases operational efficiency & reduces cost. A complete Fleet management system provides capacity planning, forms processing procedures, dealing with labor expenses, and coping with fuel costs.
Route planning is a complex topic, there are different possible solutions to control a route. It includes features such as route planning, route optimization & route monitoring. Customer satisfaction, Delivery timelines & Data accuracy are the key benefits of implementing a perfect route planning scheme.
Route control decreases unauthorized movements, route deviations & no. of late visits. Delivery services industry faces the challenge of more orders to fulfill and shipments to deliver to customers. Public Transport services want to decrease dissatisfied passengers. Logistics & Cargo transportation companies need to make sure fleet & cargo safety. Employee transportation needs accurate ETA’s.
Route Optimization Features in Fleet Management Software
Every industry has a different set of challenges related to route control. Having a scalable routes planning module makes it possible to make plans as per fleet policy. Fleet management system provides a visual analysis of actual routes versus planned routes. It provides key metrics such as expected arrival time, actual arrival time, stops zones, idling duration.
Route Planning Terms
- Point to visit
A point of the visit is the geographical coordinates of a physical location. It can be a checkpoint, geofence, delivery/pickup address, or a stop/start point.
- Set of points
The set of points includes multiple points.
- Time of passing through points
The time interval between points & on points.
- Movement through a set of points
A route between points.
Benefits of Route Optimization
- Reduce Downtime
- Increase delivery accuracy
- Decrease time & distance of delivery
- Slash fuel costs
- Improved resource management
- Low maintenance cost
- Fleet & cargo safety
Route Planning Features
Route control reports provide insights on a route’s performance by calculating intervals between points or a set of points. Grouping of reports by route/vehicle/driver provides clean statistics. Analyses of metrics such as average time of a route completion, percentage of delays & cost associated with a route.
Displaying results in the monitoring system
Real-time location on the map, display of the points visited, late, non visited & skipped. View orders or stops on the map, View presence in or outside a geofence.
Controlling tracks between points
Optimize tracks using google maps to get the lowest time & distance between 2 points.
Single routes contain a point that is deleted once visited. Permanent routes provide an opportunity to track the same route at a scheduled time. Creating a template of the route can significantly reduce the time to create new routes.
New points are each day to an existing route. Almost all delivery services must have this feature.
Automatic route start
Rounds created automatically, When it is time for a vehicle to visit the first point, the round is activated and the system starts to track it. For example, a route can start when a vehicle leaves a geofence.
Schedule relative to the route start
A schedule is a list of checkpoints with the estimated time of their visit. One route can have multiple schedules.
Routes & points order optimization
The order of a checkpoint visit or a route can be changed based on the requirements.
Replacing vehicles while the route is in progress
A breakdown or accident of the vehicle needs a change of vehicle while the route is in progress.
Routes with a long duration
When vehicles travel between borders their time of stay at border checkpoints is often unpredictable.
A moving vehicle or object can be a checkpoint in many business cases such as patrolling vehicles. The position of approaching or moving away from checkpoints should be measured.
Dispatcher & driver’s 2-way chat via mobile application improves communication. with the option to attach files such as a delivery note, proof of delivery & confirm/reject an order.
Use Cases Public Transport
Every stop is a checkpoint in the public transport industry. The fleet management system distributes units (vehicles) by routes, monitors ride online, controls adherence to the schedules, tracks the unit on the route, creates notifications about events during the ride, and executes reports on rides.
Routes of employee transportation are often permanent yet the points can vary based on the shifts. Fleet management system optimizes the routes based on the points to visit and employees traveling.
A checkpoint is an order delivery address that is received from an order management system. An active route feature is required to add or remove location points & manage delivery intervals. Drivers have a mobile application to receive updated route instructions.
Route Optimization ROI
Route optimization software ROI calculation depends on the following key points.
- 10-15% fuel cost saving by running optimized routes
- Automated route creation reduced time required for calculating routes. It has a huge cost saving
- Serve upto 20% more customers by saving time & money
- Reduce false claims which cost extra money
- Reduce break times & improve efficiency
- Make loyal customers with perfect execution
- Reduce cost of repeated visits
- Automated notifications to know when their delivery will happen
- Receive notifications about delivery status
- Receive their delivery on time as promised
Key Benefits Of Using Delivery Management Software
- Routing and addresses based on data from Google Maps
- Effective “dispatcher-driver-client” communication pattern
- Precise order information to avoid misdirected pattern
- Preliminary analysis to avoid misdirected orders
- Option to view files attached to the order anytime and anyplace
- Import option for the companies utilizing third-party accounting systems for order list generation
- Time and cost saving due to relevant order distribution across delivery areas attributed to warehouses
- Default settings for new orders
- Automatic order distribution based on relevant criteria
- Option to adjust a preliminary route
- Time saving for the office and the field due to automatic route sheet creation
- Custom tags to mark orders and sort or attribute them to warehouses by given properties
- Single and Permanent order types for occasional and regular deliveries
- Filtration by type, time interval, warehouses and tags to prompt order selection
- Flexible notifications for customers, dispatchers and courier with a comprehensive HTML editor
- Option to compare planned and actual routes to check courier performance in real-time mode
- Route export in .PDF and .xlsx
- Drag & drop to customize report tables and statistics
- Temperature information in reports for those businesses engaged in refrigerated transportation
Fleet management software with route optimization & control decrease miles driven, idling periods. It’s features increase capacity to serve more customers in less time.